Dogs are man’s best friend, but sometimes even the best of friends can get anxious or stressed. If your dog is having trouble calming down, here are ten tips to help soothe your pup.
1. Avoid punishing your dog for being nervous – Dogs are very intuitive and will know if you’re angry or frustrated with them. This will only make them more nervous. Instead, try to be understanding and patient as they work through their anxiety.
2. Provide a safe space – Dogs like to have a place where they feel safe and secure. If your dog is feeling anxious, give them space (like a crate or small room) where they can go to feel better.
3. Exercise – A tired dog is a good dog! Getting plenty of exercises will help burn off excess energy and calm your dog’s nerves.
4. Get Them Used to The Stimulus – If there’s something that’s causing your dog anxiety (like other dogs, loud noises, etc.), slowly introduce them to the stimulus in short bursts until they’re no longer afraid.
5. Comforting Touch – Gently petting or massaging your dog can help relax them and make them feel comforted.
6. Relaxing Aromatherapy – Certain scents can have a calming effect on dogs. Try diffusing some lavender oil or putting a drop on their collar before leaving the house.
7. CBD Oil – CBD oil is known for its relaxing effects on humans, but it can also work wonders for dogs! Just be sure to get CBD oil specifically for pets. If you want to know more about this, check out does CBD for dogs work.
8. Tasty Treats – Training your dog with positive reinforcement is a great way to build their confidence. When they do something you ask, reward them with a tasty treat!
9. Keep Meals and Walks Regular – Just like humans, dogs can get anxious when their routine is disrupted. Try to keep mealtimes and walks consistent so they know what to expect.
10. Consult with experts – Sometimes anxiety in dogs can be caused by an underlying health issue. If you’ve tried everything and nothing seems to be working, it may be time to consult with a veterinarian or animal behaviorist.
Feeling nervous is tough for anyone – even our furry friends! If your dog is having trouble calming down, try out these ten tips and see if they make a difference. From exercise to aromatherapy, there’s sure to be something that helps soothe your pup’s anxiety.